Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Whole Grain White Waffles with Walnuts, Oats, and Cranberries


Yep, I made waffles again.  And they were delicious!

And they freeze exceptionally well, so I can make a whole batch and just heat them up as I need.  Most mornings I can only tackle half of one anyway, so it's perfect.

In other news, I still live out of a hotel in Bluffton, SC.  Luckily, I've had a few jaunts back home to keep me going.  Also, I had a wonderful Easter holiday down in Florida with my family.  More on that later, I promise.  The pictures of the wildlife are too cute not to share!

Back to these waffles:



I took my standard Whole Wheat Waffle recipe and made some variations on what I had available.  I didn't have vanilla extract, so I substituted pure almond extract, which gave it a delightfully fragrant smell.  I also finished off a bag of oatmeal I had lingering about, and some chopped candied walnuts.  The best part was the scattered cranberries throughout the dough.  They've been in my freezer since winter, so look for more creative uses as I try to get rid of them.




Whole Grain White Waffles with Oats, Walnuts, and Cranberries

Ingredients

1 1/2 c Whole Grain White Flour
1/3 c oats
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 T sugar
1 large egg
1/4 c chopped walnuts
1 1/2 c almond milk
1/3 c melted butter
1 t almond extract
4-6 cranberries per waffle (best to sprinkle over dough before closing waffle maker)

makes about 3 large waffles

No comments:

Post a Comment