Saturday, July 24, 2010

Wonderful Whole Wheat Waffles

... say that three times fast!







I've had many an opportunity to play with the new waffle maker that John gave me for my birthday.  I had a wonderful Farmhouse brand classic pancake and waffle mix that I burned through, making several at a time and freezing for later mornings.  Unfortunately, maybe eating waffles every morning isn't the best thing . . . ok, actually is is, but you know what I mean.  I'm getting fat here.  Not cool.

I decided that making a whole wheat batter would be a decent compromise.  (It is, right?)  Many recipes incorporate wheat germ, flax seed, whole oats, applesauce, and other hifalutin ingredients, but being a poor college student, I made do with what was in my pantry.  I used a quite simple recipe as my base and then made some alterations.

Whole Wheat Waffles

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, white whole wheat or traditional
2 teaspoons baking powder

*(1/2 tsp baking soda)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup melted butter or vegetable oil
*(1 tsp Vanilla extract)

Whisk together the flour, baking powder (and baking soda), salt, and sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and butter or oil (and vanilla). Mix together the wet and dry ingredients, stirring just till combined.

I topped mine with some finely chopped almonds!

Cook the waffles as directed in the instructions that came with your waffle iron.
Yield: about eight 8" waffles. (Big lie! I had 2 and a half waffles in mine, but they are kinda big.)


"But wait- when did this turn into a food blog?" you may ask.

Good question.  I've pondered this myself.  This is what I came up with:  We were pretty broke after the move, so eating out isn't as feasible as it was before.  Therefore we cook a lot at home, which is wonderful.  John and I are both (self-proclaimed) great cooks.  Also cooking in our new kitchen makes this place and town feel much more like home.  There's nothing like delicious smells from the kitchen to make you feel settled and comfortable.  And of course my camera is nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment