Saturday, January 21, 2012

Blueberry Lemon Jam


This is my first attempt at jams.  And though I was not entirely happy with my viscosity, I would definitely attempt this again.  It was delightfully easy to make.


And pretty good to eat.



Blueberry Lemon Jam:

8 cups fresh blueberries
5 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid fruit pectin







    • Place blueberries in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a stockpot. Stir in the sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, lemon peel and nutmeg. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.

    • Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Ladle hot mixture into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.








    I found my first attempt to be a little too lemon-y, with too low of a viscosity.  I also found it too be too sugary.  I think those will base the adjustments I make to my next batch, which will be delicious.




    No comments:

    Post a Comment